Thursday, April 2, 2009

A day of Prospecting

Today I went with another Advanced Unit Leader Cathy prospecting. She lives about 2 hours away so we don't get together very often. We talk on the phone quite a bit and share ideas but I have not gotten to see her in action.

We met in a very small town with her sister in law to go out prospecting. Cathy is a VERY outgoing person. She NEVER met a stranger, but she is so much fun. I love talking to her because she has great ideas and inspiration. Anyway, we met up and went out. First stop Steak N Shake - we just stopped for a soda but Cathy quickly got to know our waitress and before we got our drinks she had her name, number and a time to meet with her. Next to Walmart - stopped and talked to a lady loading her car. She had a new baby and Cathy got her name and number. On into Walmart - the lady in front of us in the check out line got a brochure with her sister in law's name and number. Unfortunately I had to get back home before we did anything else but I did learn some things.

1. ALWAYS BE PREPARED! Cathy had brochures labeled, prospecting cards for them to fill out their name, address, phone, email and three easy questions: Are you being serviced by an Avon Representative, Would you like to receive a brochure, Would you be interested in learning more about Avon's earnings opportunity? Each person that filled out a card also received a mini hand cream.

2. Practice the 3 foot rule! Talk to ANYONE within three feet of you. EVERYWHERE you go! She spoke to anyone within yelling distance.

3. Don't be afraid to start up a conversation with anyone you meet. Being the backward person I was growing up that is the biggest challenge I have. It is very hard for me to start a conversation with strangers. I need to GET OVER IT!

Other little tidbits include buying a small clipboard for your prospecting cards so you can carry it around with a pen. Ask the prospect if they would like a brochure or if they would like a free gift for filling out the survey. She used the mini hand creams but I think I am going to make up sample bundles.

The sample bundles I am making up are simply this: A fold over sandwich baggie with 3 samples and my business card tied with a ribbon. I will use different samples in each baggie with different ribbons for variety. Put them into a basket or small hand bag with brochures, pens, and my small clipboard with prospecting cards.

I learn a lot from Cathy and hope to get these items in my everyday routine soon.

Later in the evening I listed to a conference call about doing the appointment process. I learned some very interesting facts. Avon donated money to a children's hospital in New York after 9/11 and every child that was effected can have free psychiatric care. I also learned some new ways to present the appointment book. I LOVE to LEARN!

Well it is late and I am going to bed. I will try to post tomorrow. Nite!

No comments:

Post a Comment